This level 5 applied psychology course from Blackrock Institute of Further Education equips learners with skills and knowledge in the areas of counselling and psychology.
- Human Growth and Development
- Child Development
- Behavioural Studies
- Work Experience
- Social skills – teamwork, negotiation skills, initiative, ability to deal with people, conflict management
- Information gathering – literature searches, report writing, interviewing, designing surveys
- Analysis and synthesis skills – editing and synthesising information from a variety of sources, reading critically
- Project planning – identifying steps, resources, solving problems, dependability, initiative and being able to work on several tasks at once, time management
- Knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of people – cognitive, perceptual, physical, emotional, social, development, personality
- Numerical, IT, statistical and inferential skills, analysis and presentation
- Oral and written communication skills, listening, speaking etc.
Graduates of this course can progress through the Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS) and apply for CAO courses in the areas of counselling and psychology on successful completion of the course. Some of these progression options are listed below..
- BSc Psychology or BSc Social Sciences, University College Dublin – www.ucd.ie
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Psychology (PSI Accredited), IADT, Dún Laoghaire – www.iadt.ie
- BA (Hons) in Psychology * or BA Applied Social Studies in Social Care**, Waterford Institute of Technology – www.wit.ie
- BA (Hons) Psychology, National College of Ireland – www.ncirl.ie
- BA Psychology, Maynooth University www.nuimaynooth.ie
- BA (Hons) Applied Social Studies in Social Care, Technological University Dublin [Blanchardstown] – www.tudublin.ie