This is a foundation level course aimed at those looking to pursue a career in the nursing profession or to progress to other related areas in higher education. It enables learners to acquire the knowledge, skills, and competence to work under supervision in a variety of hospital and other healthcare settings.
Leaving Cert or its equivalent (approximately 300 points to include at a minimum ordinary level Maths and English).
- Care Support
- Work Experience (120 hours may be required)
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Nursing Theory & Practice
- Care Provision and Practice
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Growth & Development
- Word Processing
Supervised clinical experience in hospitals and other health facilities is incorporated into this course
Graduates from this course can avail of employment opportunities in healthcare or related areas.
Graduates who achieve the required standard may progress to further studies in IT Colleges/Universities through the Higher Education Links Scheme as outlined in this brochure.
Graduates who achieve the required standard may also progress to further studies to Institutes of Technology and Universities. Examples of progression courses include:
- UCD, DN450 General Nursing
- UCD, DN451 Children’s and General Nursing
- DCU, DC215 General Nursing
- DCU, DC216 Mental Health Nursing
- Dundalk IT, DK870 General Nursing
- Entry to UK Colleges through UCAS
- Entry to European Colleges
Certification: QQI Level 5 Nursing Studies – Code 5M4349 / Patient Moving and Handling Certificate / Occupational First Aid Certificate